Prayer is shaped by Jesus, in whose name we pray.
Our knowledge, our needs, our feelings are taken seriously, but they are not foundational.
God, revealed in the Scriptures that we read and meditate upon and in Jesus whom we address,
gives both form and content to our prayers.
In prayer we are most ourselves; it is the one act in which we can, must, be totally ourselves.
But it is also the act in which we move beyond ourselves.
In that ‘move beyond’ we come to be formed and defined
not by the sum total of our experiences but by the Father, Son, and Spirit to whom and by whom we pray.
Eugene Peterson, Eat This Book
- Please pray for those in need of prayer and not included specifically on this list.
- Please pray for everyone who takes the time to pray for, and consider the needs of, others.
- Submit your prayer requests for the eLectronic cHurch to join with, and for, you (and others) in prayer.
- DivorceCare Ministry at UMMBC – 13–week program starts 9/16. Interested participants can register now
- Great message from Minister of Discipleship, Rev. Tasha Gibson, yesterday at UMMBC
- Livingstone College W-S Alumni Chapter organized
- Lunch with a former co-worker at GMACI and brother from a different mother – Rick Pierce
- ECHO strategy planning sessions last week with a great group of board members
- Meeting with Margaret Elliott of Crisis Control Ministries to prepare for 40th anniversary on 11/3
- Friends (and others) who are supporting (through donations) the equipment needs of the Carver High School Band ($400 so far)
- Tomi Richard – (for her husband Ira) who is now home from the hospital
- March on Washington 50years ago and MLK Speech – how it became popular
- Jeerry McLeese and his work with Compassionate Winson-Salem
- Georgia R. – for emotional healing.
- Rick Pierce (for his friend Mike Byrd) – he continues to struggle in ICU with respiratory problems following lung surgery.
- Pray for the homeless and those serving them – Feeding homeless apparently illegal in Raleigh
- Louis and Vanessa Smith (for their son Dwayne) – he cancer has returned. They ask for Prayer Warriors and Intercessors standing in the gap to intercede and to thank God for the Healing of their son.
- Carver High School Band – that they receive enough donations and support to purchase new instruments.
- The Littlejohn Family (Tony Littlejohn a nephew) – he died early Sunday morning of a heart attack (53 years old)
- Peyton Hairston – in Whitaker Care
- The crisis in Egypt – pray for a resolution and for the people who have lost loved ones in the violence.
- The people of Syria and the ongoing crisis
- Marilyn Odom – for healing
- Bill Hinman – for his son-in-law who had recent surgery for brain cancer and their families.
- Celina Bailey – for sanity, maturity and peace as she struggles with making good life choices. Please keep her in prayer indefinitely as she needs guidance and the wisdom to accept it.
- Bill Yates – pray for pain management and a new procedure that hopefully will work.
- Wenna Phelps – for her sister (Sheila James) who is facing health challenges.
- Students returning to school and those going off to college for the first time (and their parents).
The Benediction in pictures:
- Make it a great day
- Enjoy the journey
- Look for the bright spots